Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Things Get Iffy: 4 Ways to Say "If" in Chinese


IF you're looking for a post that'll teach you four quick words in Chinese which all have the same meaning, this is the one!  Ok, so they don't have the exact same meaning, but close enough (like "fewer taxes!" and "taxes aplenty!" if you're a politician...).  The words we're going to talk about in this post all mean "if" in the general sense.  Each of the four words has it's own specific use, but these words are simple to learn and their usages are easily explained in English.

The four words for "if" in Chinese are explained in detail below.  You'll notice that  "jiǎrú" and "yàoshì" are often interchangeable, but in addition to being used in all of the situations where "jiǎrú" applies,  "yàoshì" can also be used in a way that "jiǎrú" cannot.



1.  rúguǒ 如果 if (on condition that)
 If X is done, then Y will happen.
X will happen if condition Y is met.


Examples: 
If (rúguǒ) you shave your beard, I'll go on a date with you.
If (rúguǒ) our country agrees to stop throwing potatoes at your country, will you stop referring to our queen as "Her Royal Fatness?"
If (rúguǒ) you write "I shouldn't have pulled the fire alarm" 500 hundred times, we won't expel you.


2.  jiǎrú 假如 if (supposing that)

Imagining/Theoretical; supposing X, Y would happen  
If X (which isn't true) were true, then Y.

Examples:
If (jiǎrú/yàoshì) ponies were hairless, would they still be cute?
If (jiǎrú/yàoshì) I were your mother, I'd be institutionalized by now.


3.  yàoshì   要是 if (supposing that/in case that)
Imagining/Theoretical; supposing X, Y would happen
If X (which isn't true) were true, then Y.

Examples:
If (jiǎrú/yàoshì) ponies were hairless, would they still be cute?
If (jiǎrú/yàoshì) I were your mother, I'd be institutionalized by now.

AND

X if situation Y (which is beyond our control) arises  

Examples:
If (yàoshì) it gets too cold out, we won't play in the sprinklers.
If (yàoshì) the monkeys revolt, we'll stay indoors.


4.  shìfǒu 是否 if (whether)
X whether or not (if) Y happens

Examples:
Who can say whether or not (shìfǒu) we should have eaten that moldy bread?
Do you know if (shìfǒu) John is planning to wear his chicken costume?


Now that we've learned the basics of these four "if" words, let's see if you can remember which "if" word to use within the context of the following sentences.  Note that you can see the correct Chinese "if" word by mousing over the word "if" in each sentence.  The answers are also at the very bottom of this post.



1.  IF we won the lotto, we'd quit our jobs and move to Tahiti.
2.  IF you cut my hair while I'm sleeping, I'll run your boxers up the flagpole.
3.  IF cows could talk, burgers would be made from pork.
4.  I don't know IF I can handle another snowpocalypse. 
5.  IF the temperature rises any more, the nuns might ditch their habits.
6.  IF we agree to stop releasing pigs in the school library, the dean will reverse our suspensions.


So there you have it.  A very "iffy" post.  I've tried to do my best to make this post accurate, but IF you happen to find any errors, please let me know!  Also, IF you're missing my sillier posts (and don't worry, there are more to come soon) why not reminisce via my Favorite Posts page?  And don't forget, you can always browse all of my posts via my archives which are listed at the right of the blog.


1. jiǎrú/yàoshì  2. rúguǒ  3. jiǎrú/yàoshì  4. shìfǒu  5. yàoshì  6. rúguǒ

Don't forget to check out this week's interactive vocabulary list.

No comments:

Post a Comment